Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Another Neglected Dog

Update Wednesday 10am:
Read the comments under this post.  Another address just came in.  It's in the Monroe city limits. 


Update Wednesday 8:30am: 
A comment just came in.  So that nobody misses it, here it is:
Starving chained dogs are behind the house on Franklin Street & Weddington Road, beside the railroad tracks. As you turn on Weddington Road off of Franklin street look to the right at the little white house next to the street in the back yard, chained to trees. Not only are they chained they are starving - even a blind man could see that! 

I think this is just outside the city limits and is in the county.  If so, county AC needs to check.  County, the laws are on the books.  If you find the dogs are starving, it's time to start arresting the offenders. 


Project Slum Dogs receive the following email tonight.  This is in Monroe:
Trying not to cry....My husband and I ate at El Valarta tonight and as we were coming down Temple Street that turns onto Euclid, my heart just dropped...the first house on the corner of Temple and Euclid had a large brown dog ( maybe a boxer) chained up in the back yard...what was heartbreaking was the chain only allowed to dog to sit...could not lay down because the idiots that chained him/her up, chained him to the darn boxing of the house!!  I don't know if this was just a one time thing, but the way that dog looked at me broke my heart...I wanted to stop so bad, but knew better....Can someone check this out?

This does not need to be called in; it's been done. A lieutenant with the Monroe Police Department HAS been notified.  The police WILL check it out. 

As heartbreaking as this is, at least many people are now becoming aware that there is help, in Monroe anyway.  If we at Project Slum Dogs hear about a neglected dog, we will notify the police immediately.  Count on it. 

ps.  Folks, please start bringing a camera with you when you're out & about.  You never know when you'll need it.  A pictures speaks a thousand words.  When you see something like the email above, take a picture.  Don't go onto the property though.  Take the pictures from the road.  Zoom in and get close-ups too.  Send 'em this way.

12 comments:

  1. I know the dog you are talking about, and I know for a fact that the police have been called out there before but did NOTHING to help that dog. So why is it when WE call the police nothing changes? People act like those of us who live in Monroe don't do anything but the problem is when we call the police THEY don't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody is acting like the people in Monroe don't do anything. We've all heard the same complaints. THAT'S WHY THIS PROJECT WAS STARTED. Now, things are changing.

    We have been getting results when we notify the Monroe Police Dept about an abused/neglected dog. However, if you're not getting results then you have some options:
    1. Call the police chief. She's very nice and if your calls for help are being ignored, she needs to know about it.
    2. Show up at the next City Council meeting and speak.
    3. Take pictures. Send them here.
    4. Call the press. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Join this group as a volunteer and/or donate. It will be a rewarding and blessed feeling knowing that you are making a difference within your.community as your civic duty, but even moreso be helping the voiceless, innocent dogs have a much better life or perhaps completely save one!..trust me,.there.are.so.many needy and helpless scared dogs that need our help NOW! Join us to help them & make a difference. This is just the beginning of a very long battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're working to set up a way in which people can donate. Hoping we'll have it worked out within a few days.

      Delete
  4. It is good to see the residents are taking advantage of the blog! So many cruely chained dogs in this county!

    ReplyDelete
  5. starving chained dogs are behind the house on Franklin Street & Weddington Road, beside the railroad tracks. As you turn on Weddington Road off of Franklin street look to the right at the little white house next to the street in the back yard, chained to trees. Not only are they chained they are starving - even a blind man could see that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 107 Maurice St., a light blue house at the corner of Maurice and Tallyrand, behind the Monroe Library. I saw 3 chained dogs but there might be more. I couldn't get any photos but it's gross. There are also a lot more chained dogs in that area.

    I drove by where the new pens were set up for the dogs on Phifer St., in the block behind the unemployment office, and I'm wondering why the police didn't make them clean up the trash and get rid of all the nasty empty dog houses left on that property?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, chaining is legal in this part of the country. Are these dogs fed? Watered? Starving? Can they get "vigorous exercise" which is referred to in the AC ordinances?

      Delete
    2. At that house on Maurice, there was a lot of junk laying around and I couldn't tell if they were fed, watered or starving, but I've never known a chained dog that got vigorous exercise.

      I'm not the brave type who gets out of the car to start looking around people's properties or deals with people in these neighborhoods. I live in a bad neighborhood in the city of Monroe and I know better; I already feel unsafe just living here. It was just by chance that I was passing by this place because I missed my turn to go to the library and turned on the next street to go back to the library, and saw these dogs so I'm just letting you know.

      Yes, I know chaining is legal. I live in a neighborhood where there are many chained dogs, and my neighbor's dog died on the chain about 4-5 years ago BECAUSE CHAINING IS LEGAL. I watched her suffer for 6 years and all of my efforts to help her FAILED. I was helpless to do anything other than sneak food and water to her, because the police didn't believe that she was being neglected, and I'm too old to go to jail for stealing someone's dog, which would have been stupid anyway since I live right next door. During the year before she died, someone else, and I don't even know who this person was, even called the police and they still didn't find anything wrong and by then she was skin and bones and her thick coat was terribly dirty and matted. IT WAS THE SADDEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE AND THE POLICE FOUND NOTHING WRONG, and I am ashamed to admit that I was greatly relieved when she finally died.

      While I do know that certain individuals on the police force do care about animals, animals in general fall low on the list of priorities for the police department and the only reason any of this is happening is because you have drawn attention to them.

      The comment above is correct, when neighbors call about animal neglect the police drop by when they have time and that's about it, and apparently they also see nothing wrong with people using a travel carrier for a dog house, even if the holes are facing up allowing rain or snow to get in. That was another neighbor that I reported to the police; I ended up getting them dog houses because the police found nothing wrong and didn't make them get proper houses for those 3 chained dogs and I couldn't stand it.

      So even if nothing can be done legally to change the situation for a dog that is chained and neglected but not starving, I still think people should hear about these things from someone who actually lives in the city of Monroe and has had to see it day in and day out in their own neighborhood and right next door. It's a very different experience from driving over here just to search for the horrors. Very different.

      Delete
    3. You were right in not going up to the house. Don't go on the property either. However, if you can get pictures from the street, zoom in and snap away. And send them to us!

      We've still got quite a job to do in raising awareness, education and getting the existing laws enforced. The finish line is not in sight.

      Delete
  7. HI, Moderator, I live in Portsmouth, VA., I volunteer for Dogs Deserve Better and there is a chaining problem here in my city. I have some questions regarding starting a similar project and I would like to speak with someone who can give me advice on how to start. I have physically knocked on doors, talked with owners and have given them dog food. I am wanting to talk with a manager at LOWE'S by my house and ask if they would be willing to donate fencing for kennels. Can someone from your group please email me. 4paws4life1431@gmail.com. Thank you for being an inspiration! -Angela B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will get in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete